Can you change someone’s mind about a topic you feel is important? Can you make an online or social media audience do a 180 degree turn in 180 seconds?
News Digital Networks Australia’s new female digital platform With Her in Mind Network and Screen Australia are proud to offer a unique opportunity for documentary makers to shed light on topics that are important to Australian women.
Doco180 aims to fund up to six documentary shorts, each with a maximum 3 minute duration. The films will premiere on whimn.com.au and its associated social channels and be made exclusively with a digital audience and medium in mind.
Applications will be assessed against whimn’s intention to provide surprising, emotional, relatable and informative content that appeals to Australian women. Ideally the successful projects will adopt a fresh approach to a new topic, or one that has not been explored before.
Proposals must be for documentaries. Screen Australia does not invest in programs such as reality television, current affairs or light entertainment. To find out more about what constitutes as a documentary, please see the ACMA guidelines.
Screen Australia will appoint an Investment Development Manager to support the projects and whimn.com.au will support each work with companion editorial.
The successful applicants will have a maximum 3 months to deliver their finished documentary for publication in the second half of 2017.
What funding is available?
Applicants can apply for up to $6,000 per 3 minute project.
Who can apply?
An application must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Proposals must be for one-off documentaries with a duration no longer than 3
- The director must be female, and have one credit in the same role on a project which has been publicly released
- All key creatives must be Australian citizens or permanent residents
- Applicant teams can submit multiple applications as long as the proposals are different
- The content should satisfy a G or PG rating. If it is more likely the content would qualify for an M rating, the applicant should address why this required in order to tell the story successfully in the proposal document
Applicants must also meet the general eligibility requirements set out in Screen Australia’s Terms of Trade. Regretfully we will not be able to receive applications from people who are enrolled full time at a tertiary education institution, or who are a current employee of a broadcaster.
What materials do you need to apply?
A completed application form via the Screen Australia Portal which includes:
- 200 word biographies for key creatives
- Any relevant credit information for key creatives
- A proposal document, maximum 2 pages in length, outlining the concept and how it fits with the aims of Doco180. A good reference guide for what is a synopsis/outline and other documents can be found in Tools and Insights
- Visual material of either up to a 3 minute show reel or up to 3 minute example of the director’s previous work provided as a link in your application
- A video pitch for the proposal, maximum 1 minute in length, provided as a private, download enabled screening link with a password
What is the assessment process?
Applications will be shortlisted by Screen Australia executives and/or industry specialists/peers as required. The final selections will be jointly decided between the editorial of whimn.com.au and Screen Australia. We will advise applicants in writing of the success or otherwise of their application.
When assessing applications for this program, we will take the following equally weighted criteria into account:
- Creative strength of the project and its capacity to present a new angle on a topic affecting women for the WHIM audience; and the ability to reflect the diversity of the Australian population (for the purpose of these guidelines, diversity encompasses cultural background, disability status, sexual orientation and identity
- Capacity of the team to manage the project creatively and their ability to deliver a complete project in accordance with the Timeline
In the event your application is successful, the final project will need to be delivered with English subtitles to maximize impact on social media, in the following format:
- H.264 MPEG-4 (MP4) format
- Duration: 0:03:00
- Size: 200 MB
- Bit Rate: 3 Mbps
- Codec: H.264 MPEG-4 (MP4), 1920 x 1080, 25 fps, 3 Mbps
- Audio: MPEG-4 Audio stereo, 48 kHz, 255 kbps